The Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) has administered the Census of Law Enforcement Training Academies (CLETA) approximately every 5 years since 2002. The CLETA gathers information on recruits, staff, training curricula, equipment, and facilities from training academies that are responsible for administering mandatory basic training to newly appointed or elected law enforcement officers. These academies are operated by state, county, and municipal agencies and by universities, colleges, and technical schools. In addition to providing a snapshot of the current state of basic law enforcement training, BJS will be able to compare the results of the 2022 CLETA with data from prior years to determine how training has changed over time.
If you have any questions, call RTI toll - free at 1-866-245-8080, or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
2022 CLETA Schedule
Spring – Summer 2023
- BJS will send a letter inviting law enforcement training academy directors to participate in CLETA
- Academy directors can designate a point of contact to complete the survey
- RTI will provide directors and points of contact with access to the survey website to allow review of survey items and submission of data
- Training academies will send their data to RTI either online or using a paper questionnaire
Fall – Winter 2023
- Data quality assessments
- Data compiled and processed
Spring – Summer 2024
- Results analyzed
- BJS will publish a report of the findings