2016 LEMAS Body-Worn Camera Survey
The Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS), in partnership with RTI International, conducted a survey about the use of body-worn cameras (BWC) by law enforcement agencies (LEAs). The survey was sent to a nationally representative sample of 5,000 general purpose LEAs (i.e., local, county and regional police departments, sheriffs’ offices, and primary state police/highway patrol departments). A copy of the survey is available to download here:
Download a PDF of the survey
The LEMAS Body-Worn Camera Survey is now closed for submission.
For more information on the BWCS, please contact Shelley Hyland, Program Manager,
at 202-616-1706 or Shelley.Hyland@usdoj.gov.
2016 LEMAS BWCS Schedule
· BJS will send out a letter inviting law enforcement chief executives to participate in the first LEMAS supplement, a survey on body-worn camera usage in law enforcement.
· Chief executives invited to participate in the LEMAS BWCS will be asked to designate a point of contact for the survey
· RTI will provide the point of contact with a website to access the survey and login instructions or a paper survey if requested
Fall 2016–Fall 2017
· Results from the BWCS will be processed and analyzed
· BJS and RTI will draft a report on survey findings
· BJS will publish a report on survey findings